The obelisk of the Pincio was raised in the second century by the emperor Hadrian in honor of his young and unfortunate lover Antinoo. After a few moves over the centuries, it was placed in the current area of Porta Maggiore where it fell and remained buried until 1570. Found again at the time of Pope Urban VIII, after a stay in the Vatican, it was placed in Via dell’Obelisco al Pincio by Pope Pius VII. The photo in particular is dated 1865 and shows us some people, in the current Bucharest Square, around the obelisk intent on chatting, perhaps after a walk in the gardens of the Pincio.

Use the central handle to move the curtain and see the two superimposed images. If it should not be totally visible, it is possible to put it in full screen with the button at the top right of the image.