In 1936, perhaps to celebrate the victory in the Abyssinian war, we see a parade of artillerymen along Via dell’Impero, today Via dei Fori Imperiali. Behind the gunners we recognize the Church of Santa Maria di Loreto. Built by the University of Fornari and completed in 1585, this arose as a place of worship for the poor people who stayed at the annexed hospital. However, the area, once called Macel de’ Corvi, has a much more interesting history as Michelangelo Buonarroti lived there for 50 years, until 1564. Unfortunately, the house disappeared in 1902 along with the whole Alessandrino district to make way for the Vittoriano .

  • Year: 1936
  • Photographer: Unknown
  • Location: Via dei Fori Imperiali
  • Source: Rome, the Capital

Use the central handle to move the curtain and see the two superimposed images. If it should not be totally visible, it is possible to put it in full screen with the button at the top right of the image.