The current appearance of the square derives largely from the demolition and reconstruction interventions carried out between the end of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth century following the construction of the Vittoriano, built precisely at the turn of the century, a colossal monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, often by synecdoche identified with the Altare della Patria, which is its central part, the one where – in 1921 – the Unknown Soldier was buried. The various demolitions were deemed necessary to adapt the size of the square to the presence of the Vittoriano and to give it a symmetrical shape. Finally, it was saved from demolition, but the palazzetto Venezia was moved immediately before the inauguration (1911), which, welded to the southeast corner of Palazzo Venezia, stood between the monument and the square. (wiki)

Piazza Venezia – Palazzo Venezia

 

Palazzo Torlonia, which overlooked the square and was considered one of the most beautiful in Rome, was then demolished. The Torlonias had had it built a few decades earlier (in 1827) in place of Palazzo Bolognetti, which was demolished. The new building had been built in grand style and had been frescoed by one of the most famous painters of the time, Francesco Podesti. On the same side of the square, as indicated by a plaque walled up on the side of the Assicurazioni Generali building in Venice facing the Vittoriano, among the demolished buildings there was the house where Michelangelo Buonarroti lived and died, in a square known as Macel de’ Corvi, also disappeared. (wiki)

 

Venice square – Tram in Cavalli

 

Venice square – via del Plebiscito