Splendid photo of the Alinari Archive taken at the beginning of Via della Pilotta, on the Via IV Novembre side. We can thus enjoy a cross-section of life in the early 1900s, while the innkeeper near the wine cart awaits the customers at the door of the restaurant, some gentlemen stroll along the street. The toponym of the road comes from the name of the ball game which in ancient times was called dei “pilotti” or, precisely, della “pilotta”; a game that should date back to the ancient Romans. In the street that was formerly called “de viculo” since it was actually an alley, the Papal Dragons were based and from 1551 the Roman College followed in 1930 by the Pontifical Gregorian University.
- Year: 1920 approx
- Photographer: Alinari
- Position: Via della Pilotta
- Source: Alinari Archive
Use the central handle to move the curtain and see the two superimposed images. If it should not be totally visible, it is possible to put it in full screen with the button at the top right of the image.