Unedited image, very sharp and of quality. You can see the faces of the people who are passing through Piazza di Spagna at that moment. The nose of a car appears on the left.

Trinità dei Monti (about 1920)

Construction work on the first part of the church probably began in 1502 and lasted for most of the century. The church was originally called “Trinità del Monte”, with probable reference to the Pincio hill on which it stands. The first part of the church, in full Gothic style, was designed by architects Annibale Lippi and Gregorio Caronica and built with stones from the French city of Narbonne.

Following the damage caused by the sack of Rome in 1527, it was decided to restore and expand the entire complex also thanks to the purchase of the surrounding land. With the conclave of 1549-1550, several French cardinals financed the expansion works, which saw the conclusion of the façade in 1570, designed by Giacomo Della Porta and Carlo Maderno, adorned with the two famous bell towers.

The church was consecrated in 1585 by Pope Sixtus V, who commissioned the architect Domenico Fontana to build a road, which took the name of strada Felice from the pontiff himself, which would connect the Pincio area with the basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. However, the excavations necessary for the construction of the road had created a great difference in height with the main entrance of the church, therefore Fontana planned the construction of the monumental staircase with two ramps which still today guarantees access to the building. (wiki)